I’m often asked what it takes to write a book.
Having finished my 19th novel about twelve hours ago, I reflected on the question, whilst sitting on the patio with a wine, screaming: ‘thank god that’s done!’
So, I compiled a list.
- A workable laptop. Not one that dies with only copy of your manuscript on it, two weeks out from deadline.
- A godson who doubles as tech guru and saves you on that horrible Sunday afternoon and gets your manuscript back. (Bloody good thing that happened because I was on my way to Lucky Bay Brewing to drown my sorrows and work out what the hell I was going to tell my publisher, when he talked me through how to get the computer working again.)
- A new unexpected laptop, worth a small fortune, when you don’t trust your old laptop.
- Six bottles of gas. They kept me warm while I sat under my gas heater on the patio, during wind, rain, sun and sleet.
- Two dogs. One inside and one outside (they don’t get along).
- Numerous bottles of wine. I’m not telling how many.
- Several cups of coffee. If you’re ever in Esperance the place to go is Downtown Expresso Bar. My daughter works there and leaves me all sorts of funny messages on my coffee cups. Usually, rude ones but she won’t do that to you. And it’s the best coffee.
- Text messages from my closest friend; is your arse on the chair in front of the computer yet? Have you typed ‘the end’ yet? We’ve got a pinky promise, you have to finish on time…
- Two angels watching from above; Sarah, my previous editor and Amy, my previous publicist. I walked outside first thing this morning after thinking about them last night, when I finished and saw this rainbow. I’m sure it was sent from them.
- And lastly, an understanding publisher who offers me a two-week extension on my deadline, when really she wants to throw something at me for being late, yet again. Many thanks, Annette.
And with that, book 19 is done. Rising Dust is the 5th in the Detective Dave Burrows series and will be out in April 2022.
As I start book 20, all I know is, we are going to have one hell of a party in November 2022, when that book is published. Who could have ever imagined that amount of books, when I signed my first contract for Red Dust!